Sunday, January 26, 2014

Welcome to Ziguinchor

So maybe you'd like to hear a little more about where I'm living? Okay, I'll tell you!

The Homestead: We're staying in a WEC guest house which, from what I can understand, rarely gets used (apart from when the JEM Saint Paul group comes to visit several months out of each year). We live in a walled-in compound on a plot of maybe one to two acres of land. The compound consists of three buildings (the house we're staying in and two office buildings for WEC staff). I share a little bitty room with Sophie and...some mice.

Water/Plumbing: We have running water, two showers with coldish water, and three toilets. We drink filtered water.


Ziguinchor Roads: Some are paved and have cement trenches on either side for burning trash, but more often than not the roads are unpaved, with trash-filled ditches, like the one you see here.


Senegalese Bowl Dish: As I've mentioned before, we eat bowl dishes for lunch everyday.


One of my favorite bowl dishes is called Mafe: peanut sauce and cravettes served over rice. Delish.

Aminals: Yes, aminals. I can't tell you just how many goats we see on a daily basis. In fact, on the way home from church today we saw a baby goat on the side of the road, which had literally JUST been born. Sheep, chickens, and pigs also roam freely. Everywhere.


Kids: So, so, so many kids running and playing in the streets. The picture below was taken while we helped out with a Christian kids club one Saturday afternoon. 


So many new sights and sounds, yet I'm still very eager to get back home. I know I'll look back on this time and wish I had treasured it more. I'm desperate for the Lord's sustaining strength!


3 comments:

  1. It's good to see you're brushing your teeth with Sprite =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like the toilet needs a little help. other than that - it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love reading about your adventures and seeing photos! Praying for you! <3

    ReplyDelete